How to Get Your Home Ready to Sell in 5 Days
I am going to teach you how to prepare your home for sale in 5 so you can get it on the market and sold quickly. Once you are done it will be the dream home any buyer is looking for. It’s not going to be easy. Every night you go to bed, you’ll think you will never be done. By Day 5 you will see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Day 1 – Store
If there is anything that you want to keep put it in storage now. What the buyer doesn’t see won’t tempt them to want it as part of the deal. When you tell a buyer they can't have something, they will want it. Don’t let that foolish mistake blow your deal. Pack any of those items and replace if need be.
Day 2 - Tackle Your “Irritation List”
If it irritates you and your spouse, you can be sure the purchaser will notice anything that needs to be done
- Change out any cracked flooring, counter tops or wall tiles
- Look for holes in the walls and patch them up
- Repair leaky faucets
- Look for drawers that jam and doors that don't close. Get them fixed.
- Give anything that squeaks shot of WD-40 or powdered graphite.
- Your walls should be a neutral color (You don’t want buyers remembering your home as “that house with the hot pink bedroom”)
- Change out any light bulbs are burned out
Day 3 - Make the House Spotless
- Windows need to be sparkling.
- Use a pressure washer to clean exterior of the house
- Brush away any cobwebs
- You can clean up dingy grout with bleach. If need be, re-caulk tubs, showers and sinks
- Shine up chrome and mirrors
- Get rid of old food in the fridge and clean the oven
- When you vacuum, use a light dusting of “Carpet Fresh”
- Keep the floors shining
- Dust ceiling fan blades, light fixtures and furniture
- If rugs are worn, replace them or throw area rugs over the worn spots
- Hang up fresh towels
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas
Day 4 – Do a Walk Through
- Walk in your front door. Look around and ask yourself; “Do I want to go inside? Does the house welcome me?”
- Imagine how your house will look to the buyer by standing in the doorway of every room
- Ask yourself “Will this room make an impression?”
- Move furniture around until how it is arranged makes sense.
- Use a level on all window coverings
- You are finished when it looks like nobody lives there
Day 5 – Is the Property Attractive from The Road?
If the buyers don’t like the outside of your home; you will never get them inside.
- Clear the sidewalks
- Trim the hedges. Mow the lawn.
- Paint the front door and any window trim if they are faded
- Plant flowers
- Your house number needs to be visible from the street
If you follow these steps to prepare your home to sell you will be surprised at what a difference it makes. It may seem frustrating as you are working on the list, but keep an open mind. Trust me, in the end if you want to sell your home fast, it will be all worth it.
This presentation contains images that were used under a Creative Commons License. Click here to see the full list of images and attributions: